I love asparagus! It's probably my favorite vegetable (have I said that before?). And don't you just love the color of freshly made pesto sauce? So pretty! Anyway, this is a really simple dish to make. The hardest part is probably the pesto, and even that requires little work. If you don't have pine nuts for the pesto, you could also use walnuts. Any soft, buttery nut works really well in pesto. Also, if you don't have access to Vegan Parmesan, just add a little nutritional yeast.
- 1 cup of penne, boiled until al dente
- 1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup prepared pesto
Cook your pasta according to the package directions. As soon as you put your pasta in the water (because the pasta I use usually takes about 12-13 minutes) I start sauteing the vegetables. I like to use a light oil to saute them in (usually grapeseed or safflower). Once the pasta is done boiling, drain and add into the pan of sauteing vegetables. Toss together and pour into a bowl. Now let's make the pesto!
- 1 bunch of basil (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp Vegan Parmesan or Nutritional Yeast
- salt and pepper to taste