It took me a little while to get this one down, but I think I've finally got it! The result is a creamy, sweet, delicious ice cream with only a few simple ingredients. I've never tried making ice cream before, so I went out and bought an ice cream maker. It was pretty unnecessary for this recipe, but I'll think I'll give it another try with a different recipe in the future. So here you go - all you ice cream lovers out there! A simple recipe with simple ingredients that you can actually pronounce! I don't know about you, but some of the long lists of ingredients on the store bought vegan ice creams freak me out. So here's my version:
- 2 cups vegan milk (I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Beverage because that's what I had. You can use any vegan milk that you have on hand. I would definitely use unsweetened though.)
- 2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk (you can find this in the Asian foods aisle in your grocery store).
- 1/2 cup agave (or whatever sweetener you have. Maple syrup or brown rice syrup would work. I try to eat as little refined sugars as I can, but if you don't, use 3/4 cup sugar)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or you could use tapioca starch)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Whisk together 1/4 cup of the vegan milk with the 2 tablespoons of arrowroot and set aside.
Mix the coconut milk, the rest of the vegan milk, and agave together in a saucepan. When the mixture has just started to boil, take off the heat and stir in the arrowroot mixture. This should immediately cause the liquid to thicken (not a lot, but a noticeable amount. It will be thicker when it cools). Stir in vanilla extract.
So at this point, I put it in my ice cream maker for 15 minutes and it did absolutely nothing. I didn't want my whole mix to go to waste so I put it in a glass storage container and put it in the freezer. I opened it the next night to see what it was like and the texture was beautiful! So delicious and creamy! So I scooped some into a bowl and topped it with an agave cinnamon syrup! I just mixed together 1/4 cup of agave with 1/2 tsp cinnamon and drizzled it over. I never thought of combining cinnamon and coconut together, but believe me it works!